Monday, February 4, 2013

PS To The Big Gay Super Bowl Postscript: The Commercials

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that we're all supposed to care about the commercials that aired during the Super Bowl. So, as the last installment in my trilogy on this year's super gay Super Bowl, I'll look at two ads: one that was supposed to make me swoon but didn't, and one that was surprisingly swoon-worthy.

Four Super Bowl commercials that I'm not going to write about.
There was one commercial the gays should have loved, and to be fair some did, but I agree with Dan Savage in finding it sort of... meh. Putting a ripped guy in briefs should be a no-brainer particularly given the rich history of Calvin Klein underwear models. Here are couple of semi-NSFW links showing some of CK's better efforts in underwear ads, a look at five favorite models and the "naughty" video for the "X Marks The Spot" campaign--although, truth be told, neither link is less SFW than the nationally televised Super Bowl commercial. Somehow, the Calvin Klein Concept commercial was the opposite of sexy.


This biggest problem with this commercial is that despite being basically a remake of last year's H&M commercial featuring David Beckham, it pales in comparison. If you're going to be completely derivative, figure out how to keep the sexy in.


The real dreamboat of the Super Bowl commercials was the co-star in this year's Budweiser Clydesdales spot "Brotherhood". Of course, the horse is beautiful, but I'm crushing the trainer. As Seán Collins wrote: "Here’s to stories about cute guys with dimples who love their horsies... and aren't afraid to show it."


"Brotherhood" was also the tearjerker of the night. While the story and how it was filmed/edited are very sweet, using the song "Landslide" is sort of cheating. Just hearing the words "I took my love and I took it down" is likely to make me weep openly. The only way "Brotherhood" could have hit me harder from the start is if a voice-over had said, "This is for you, Daddy" at the beginning of the commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment