Saturday, February 9, 2013

Absolutely My Last Post On The Big Gay Super Bowl


I feel like this is my XLVIIth post on the Super Bowl, but I swear it my last. There were just a few last things kicking around the internet that were too good not to share.

San Francisco writer, Armistead Maupin lost a Super Bowl bet with Baltimore writer, Laura Lippman, and had to write an ode to Ravenstown. Not surprisingly, the result is pretty darn gay:
The Virtues of Baltimore (After Pondering Weak and Weary)
By Armistead Maupin
Who makes Baltimore so fine?
The Duchess of Windsor or Divine?
Poe and his Raven or Mama Cass?
The great John Waters or Ira Glass?
Thurgood Marshall or Adrienne Rich
Barry Levinson or – sonofabitch—
That linebacker who took a stand
For marriage equality in Maryland?
I lift my glass with a way-to-go
To Brendon Ayanbadejo
I'd like to think the stock market momentum was due to the Ravens' win.
Speaking of Ayanbadejo, Chuck Culpepper wrote a very nice piece about meeting him before the big game and getting a chance to say "thank you":
There stood Brendon Ayanbadejo, age 36, born in Chicago to an American mother and Nigerian father, educated at UCLA, three Pro Bowls as a noble special-teams sort, a man whom I had never met but for whom I held a vast gratitude. In a giddy locker room in which the great Ed Reed waltzed around singing Eddie Money's "Two Tickets To Paradise," I momentarily had misplaced Ayanbadejo's face. In fact, in the urgency of the game, I had not thought of him all weekend. Yet here was a man I had never expected to exist in all my life, a heterosexual football powerhouse who had spoken up voluntarily and beautifully and repeatedly for g-g-g-gay people. 
In my imagination this is how Brendon Ayanbadejo looks walking into the locker room (minus the VPL).
Go, read the whole thing: "The Gay Super Bowl" on Sports on Earth.

Miz Sarah B tipped me off to this great video that pretty much sums up many San Franciscans feelings. Guy Branum reads Chris Culliver's beads on Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell:


Finally, via Aaron Heier... The Best "Who Wore It Better?" EVER!

Dr. Frank-N-Furter vs. Beyoncé

No comments:

Post a Comment