Monday, February 11, 2013

I Call Bullshit On Downton Abbey

Okay, I guess I'm supposed to warn you that this post contains a spoiler, so stop reading if you haven't already seen episode 6 of season 3 of Downton Abbey.


There's been plenty of discussion on the Interwebs about the historical (in)accuracy of
the many other characters accepting Thomas's homosexuality. Lord Grantham's line: "If I screamed blue murder every time someone tried to kiss me at Eton, I’d have gone hoarse in a month," was the only one that had any ring of truth to it.

My big problem is that everyone claims to have known all along. Julian Fellowes and Rob James-Collier have clearly worked hard to make Thomas a very non-stereotypical gay. Was everyone's gaydar really that good in 1920? I don't think so.

Maybe it was the heavy smoking that gave him away. You know... oral fixation and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment