Monday, April 29, 2013

Thank You #98


By now, everyone has heard that, in moving personal essay in Sports Illustrated, Jason Collins became the first male active player in a major team sport in the United States to come out as gay. That may seem like a lot of qualifiers, but this is a big fucking deal. Like most people, I had never heard of Jason Collins before today. In fact, I'm not sure I'd heard of the Washington Wizards, the NBA he played for last year. Seriously, while I've never been a fan of professional basketball, I do think I have fairly good general sports knowledge, but I don't think I could have told you what the name of the DC NBA team was yesterday. So, obviously take all my thoughts on this with a huge grain of salt, but I do have a few things to say.

First, it may sound odd, but I was really glad when I found out Jason Collins is black--but I was having trouble articulating (even just to myself) why. Fortunately, Rob Smith explains "Why the race of NBA’s first openly gay player matters just as much as his sexual orientation":
...The color of the face attached to the cover story of Sports Illustrated — and the photos that will be shown on ESPN and CNN and every major media news outlet in the world — isn’t just important, it’s revolutionary. I would argue that Collins’ coming out will do more to advance the LGBT conversation within the black community than even President Obama’s embrace of gay marriage. ...Now, when an 18-year-old black boy is thinking about coming out and looking for someone in the popular culture who looks like him — he’s certainly going to find him. Jason Collins may not have been around when I was 18. But that doesn’t diminish the pride I feel as a 30-year-old man watching him come out now, and I can only imagine how many people who look just like us are feeling the same thing.
Sadly, I was disappointed in ESPN for how it handled the story. First, the story was one of the lead stories on every newscast today (and not just the sports news, but the national news), but ESPN buried it. Then, this happened:


To be fair, ESPN has been pretty good on LGBT issues before (and even showed a pro-bowler kissing his partner after a big win), but this was just stupid of them. Fortunately, Jason Collins is not just a practicing Christian, but apparently a very well-read and smart one. If and when he wants, I'm sure he'll be able to rip bigots like Chris Broussard to shreds if they try to use the bible to condemn homosexuality.

Happily, Chris Broussard was one of the few haters out there today. Twitter was a real love fest for Collins--with everyone from Kobe Bryant to Michelle Obama to Neil Patrick Harris tweeting their support. I'm just pissed that the Boston Red Sox tweeted this:


How am I supposed to hate the Red Sox (as I do) if they keep being so good on LGBT issues?

More important that what the Twitterverse or sportscasters or anyone else thinks or says, I have been incredibly impressed by Jason Collins. Really, go read his coming out essay and also the excellent behind-the-scenes story by Sports Illustrated writer Jon Wertheim. It's impossible not to come away from them without agreeing with former NBA player and current gay, John Amaechi:



What really sealed the deal for me was I read this passage in Collins essay:
My one small gesture of solidarity was to wear jersey number 98 with the Celtics and then the Wizards. The number has great significance to the gay community. One of the most notorious antigay hate crimes occurred in 1998. Matthew Shepard, a University of Wyoming student, was kidnapped, tortured and lashed to a prairie fence. He died five days after he was finally found. That same year the Trevor Project was founded. This amazing organization provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention to kids struggling with their sexual identity. Trust me, I know that struggle. I've struggled with some insane logic. When I put on my jersey I was making a statement to myself, my family and my friends.
Matthew Shepard's parents are touched by Collins tribute to their son:
"It made me cry," Judy Shepard told FOXSports.com during an interview Monday afternoon. "It was really quite a tribute, and I was very honored. And I know Matt would be thrilled." And the Shepards hope, someday, to be able to thank Collins personally for his bravery in opening himself up to the world and honoring their son’s name in the process. "I would really love to speak to him, because I know Judy and I would just like to thank him," Dennis Shepard said. "Because, No. 1, he had the courage to come out, period, and No. 2 that he wore 98 in honor of Matt, the year that he died. ...[Collins] couldn’t have been that old (when it happened), so it must have had a tremendous impact on him, the story behind Matt, for him to want to do that. And then to wear it all this time without telling people why until today, that’s incredible."
So, Congratulations and Thank You, Jason Collins! I'm still not going to watch professional basketball, but if there's any other way that I could support you, please let me know.

**********************************
I have few things to add to my original post--specifically, an apology, a response to a legit criticism of the news and a new video.

An apology
I can't believe I didn't mention or link to Outsports in my original post. Cyd Zeigler and Jim Buzinski have created a blog that is indeed "the galactic leader in gay sports" news. Of course, they have lots of posts about the Collins story, including Zeigler's nice personal reflections:
...Mostly, I thought about the kids. I was one of those once. I grew up in a basketball household on a healthy diet of Celtics-Lakers championship series. My dad was a local hero, able to hit his elbow on the rim at a time when dunking was against the rules. I was supposed to follow in his footsteps, but on the first day of basketball tryouts in junior high school, I had an all-consuming feeling that I just didn't belong. There's no doubt in my mind that being gay, just struggling with my sexuality and being teased for it by the other boys, kept me off the basketball court. Like many LGBT youth, I opted for individual sports -- track & field and cross-country -- instead.
Thanks to Collins, the young ones in Pee-Wee football today won't know a world without an openly gay male pro athlete. The teens in youth basketball, just starting to understand their own sexuality, will forever have someone to look up to, someone who looks like them. The young gay men playing college baseball today got a shot in the arm: They now know the sports world is ready for them.

A response to a legit criticism of the news
The title of Kate Sheppard's Mother Jones piece sums it up: "Jason Collins Is Not The First Out Gay Pro Athlete". As I said at the beginning of this post, telling Jason Collins story requires a lot of qualifiers. I went with the unwieldy "Jason Collins became the first male active player in a major team sport in the United States to come out as gay."--yikes, that's too much for a headline. Sheppard rightly points out that many women have come out during their careers, and that their have also been openly gay male athletes outside of "the big four" of the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB. In particular, Martina Navratilova seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. Thankfully, she is not shy about reminding the media that she came out as a lesbian at the height of her tennis career in 1981.


I think the criticism of the media is completely fair. Fortunately, today they are beginning to fill in the gaps. I hope the Jason Collins story spurs a discussion of not just homophobia but also larger gender issues in professional sports including the sexism of sports journalism. I also think it's important to note that Jason Collins has been very gracious in acknowledging everyone who came before him and made his announcement possible, saying simply, "The words thank you are not enough." Which lead me to...

A video...
...in which Jason Collins honors his hero Navratilova. He also speaks well on LGBT issues including his connection to the number 98 amazingly well for someone who a) just came out and b) is at the center of a media frenzy right now.



Well done, sir. Now, I will try to watch at least one of your games next year. NBA execs take note, Collins is a free agent and whichever team signs him will quickly expand their fan base--seriously, as a pure business decision, it makes sense. The gays are very brand loyal to LGBT friendly businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment