Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Happy 80th Birthday, Willie Nelson!

If Willie Nelson's career had ended 40 years ago, he still would have been one of the most important songwriters in country music ever.



The first concert I ever went to was Willie Nelson in the UNI Dome. I'm not sure of the exact year, but it was sometime during the "On The Road Again" period. My parents became big Willie fans around that time--and that song remains one of their favorites. While I love his original songs, I have to admit that Stardust, his album of songs from the "great American songbook," is what made me a life-long fan. The whole thing is beautiful--sometimes achingly so.



Lastly, and most importantly, a big shout out to Willie for his advocacy on issues that are dear to both our hearts. From the founding of Farm Aid to support family farmers to his outspoken views on drug policy reform (best line: Marijuana "won't kill you unless you let a bale of it fall on you"), he has gone far beyond the typical light-weight celebrity dabbling in politics to become a real leader in social change.

One sign: two great causes
Recently, Willie has spoken out in favor of Marriage Equality:
I never thought of  marriage as something only for men and women. But I'd never marry a guy I didn't like. ...It's about human rights. As humanity, we've come through so many problems from the beginning to here.  I guess it finally had to come around to this. This is just another situation, another problem. We'll work it out and move on.
Something good must have been going on in 1933--the year produced two of my favorite progressive men, Willie Nelson and Paul Hogan, my Dad. This year, 80 is the new fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment