Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Cult Of St. Francis

Cutest St. Francis of Assisi ever via 2 Little Hooligans
As I Tweeted, I was very excited when Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio chose the name Francis upon his election to pope.


While I'm not so into the Catholic Church these days, I'm still a big fan of Saint Francis of Assisi. He's totally rad--literally, St Francis remains a radical figure in the church. While Francis of Assisi didn't write the prayer that bears his name, his inspiration is clearly in it. I'm not a prayin' man, but "The Prayer of Saint Francis" speaks to me as spiritual guide.
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life. 
If you are reading this blog, I assume you might recognize "The Prayer of Saint Francis" as sung by Sarah McLachlan in the "Grave" episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. 



St. Francis also inspired Seamus Heaney to write one of my favorite poems:
St. Francis And The Birds

When Francis preached love to the birds
They listened, fluttered, throttled up
Into the blue like a flock of words

Released for fun from his holy lips.
Then wheeled back, whirred about his head,
Pirouetted on brothers' capes.

Danced on the wing, for sheer joy played
And sang, like images took flight.
Which was the best poem Francis made,

His argument true, his tone light. 


--Seamus Heaney


Speaking of poems about saints, I have written many. Michael Bronski, Kate Clinton, Sandy Leonard and I had a writing group of sorts that would would email each other every day (this is the 90s when email was cutting-edge social media) sending limericks based on which saint's feast day it was. This was my October 4th entry.
There once was a monk from Assisi
Who wouldn't drink crème de cassis-i
With such a strict vow
If he were living right now
Would he be Edwin of Meese-y?
Hey, I just had a great idea: Pope Francis should make me the official Vatican limericist!

No comments:

Post a Comment